- 4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- cayenne pepper to taste
- chili powder to taste
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream, for topping
Preheat the oven broiler.
Arrange chicken breasts in a large pan, and broil 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove chicken, allow to cool, then shred.
In a food processor or blender, puree the drained whole tomatoes and diced tomatoes.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft and translucent. Stir in chicken broth and pureed tomatoes. Add shredded chicken, kidney beans, and black beans. Season with cayenne pepper and chili powder. Bring to a boil; then cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar, and simmer 2 hours. Ladle into bowls, and top with cheese and dollops of sour cream.