- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, julienned
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, sliced thinly
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into thin strips
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Arrange tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion, garlic and jalapenos in olive oil until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, tomato, salt and pepper. Gently simmer until chicken is cooked, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in avocado and cilantro and heat through. Adjust seasonings.
Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with tortilla strips to serve.