- 1 1/2 pounds meaty beef soup bones
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 (1/2 inch thick) slices French bread
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
In a soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours. Strain the broth, discarding soup bones, carrot and seasoning; skim fat.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions in butter over medium heat for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Divide the onions among six oven proof bowls. Ladle about 1 cup broth onto each. Top each with a slice of bread and Swiss cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.