- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (2 pound) butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or to taste
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, ginger, and jalapeno pepper; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the butternut squash and chicken broth, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the evaporated milk, coconut milk, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes more. Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth, and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with sour cream and thyme to serve.
[…] See full ‘Butternut Squash Soup with a Kick Recipe’ here… […]