- 1 pound callaloo leaves or spinach
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound salt beef, fat removed and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 green chile pepper, chopped
- 1 cup okra
- 1/2 pound crabmeat
Remove the thick stems of the callaloo leaves, chop roughly, and put into a large saucepan. Add the chicken stock, onion, beef, black pepper, shallots, thyme, chili pepper, and crab meat. Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 35 minutes.
Add the okra, and cook for 8 minutes.
Remove the chili pepper. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Reheat, and adjust seasonings.