- 1 quart water
- 2 (16 ounce) packages kielbasa sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 pounds frozen, chopped collard greens, thawed
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans
- 1/4 cup diced bacon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
Place water and kielbasa into a soup pot, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in diced potatoes, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes more. Add greens and beans, simmer for 20 minutes longer.
While the greens and beans are cooking, place a saute pan over medium heat. Stir in the bacon, and cook to melt out some of the fat. Sir in the garlic, onions, and bell pepper; cook until the bacon is almost crisp. Drain off as much grease as you can, and add the mixture to the simmering soup, and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.