- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Melt 3 tablespoons butter or margarine in a large saucepan. Saute onions until tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach, basil or watercress, and parsley. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in broth and sugar. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Turn heat to low. Slowly stir in cream.
In a separate pan, blend together 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and flour. Whisk in a little of the hot soup, beating until smooth. Pour mixture slowly into soup, stirring constantly. Bring just to a boil, and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.