- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 1 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 dash browning sauce
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the onions; cook, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours.
When the onions are ready, add the pepper, salt, bay leaf and flour. Stir over low heat for 10 minutes. Pour in the beef broth and white wine. Simmer for 2 hours over low heat. Adjust the coloring to a rich brown with the browning sauce. Taste, and adjust salt if needed.
Preheat your oven’s broiler. Ladle the soup into oven-proof bowls, and place them on a baking sheet. Float a slice of French bread in each bowl, and top with some Swiss cheese. Broil until cheese is browned. Serve immediately.