This soup should be made with fresh vegetables. Serve with a bread and cheese platter as they do in Finland If you can’t get fresh shelled green peas, use 1 (10 ounce) package of frozen tiny green peas. Great for vegans!
- 2 cups water
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups green onions, cut into 3 inch lengths
- 12 baby carrots
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups fresh shelled green peas
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Heat water to boiling in a medium pot; add potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, butter, onions, carrots and green beans; simmer until tender then add peas.
In a small bowl, stir together half-and-half and flour until smooth; stir into the simmering vegetables. Cook, stirring constantly until the soup is slightly thickened. Serve immediately.