- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 pound frozen or fresh green peas
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch white sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup light whipping cream
- 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves for garnish
Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat. Add the 4 chopped green onions, and cook until softened, but not brown. Stir in the peas, vegetable stock, and 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint. Increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat back to low, cover, and let simmer for about 30 minutes. If you are using frozen peas, 15 minutes is enough.
Using a large slotted spoon, remove about 3 tablespoons of the peas, and set aside for garnish. Pour the soup into a blender or food processor along with the milk, and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Throw in a pinch of sugar if desired. Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
Pour the soup into 4 serving bowls. Swirl 1 tablespoon of light cream into each one, then garnish with reserved peas and sprigs of mint.