- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Place lima beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discard liquid.
In a Dutch oven coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook onions and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth, ham, carrots, water, jalapeno, parsley, pepper and lima beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until beans are tender.