- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 small head cabbage, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn (optional)
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the ground beef for about 5 minutes, or until brown and crumbly. In a large soup pot over high heat, combine the ground beef, cabbage, celery, tomatoes, corn, mushrooms, water, barley, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots and potatoes and continue to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are done to your liking. Serve with a warm loaf of bread and enjoy!
I make a variation of this. Family loves it and it’s healthy.