- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups diced onion (optional)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup stick margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
In a large saucepan or soup kettle, cook the beef, onions, carrots, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
In another saucepan, melt margarine over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until mixture turns golden brown. Carefully stir into soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.