It is a warm and filling mixture of potatoes, green beans and frankfurters that’s easy to make and perfect for a cold winter day. Serve with salad and warm rolls.
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a soup kettle or large saucepan, saute the carrots, potatoes, parsnips and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Add the hot dogs, milk, soup, water, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.