- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted and diced
Heat oil in large sauce pan and carefully drop in cut up tortillas. Fry until golden brown and crunchy. Cover a plate with a paper towel, place done tortillas on towel and pat dry, absorbing excess oil. Sprinkle salt on top of tortillas, trying to coat both sides.
Using a blender or food processor, blend tomatoes, onion and cilantro until completely pureed.
In a saucepan heat chicken broth, chipotle chili and pureed vegetables. Bring to a boil and then serve. Prior to serving, add tortillas and avocado cubes to soup or place tortillas and avocado cubes into individual serving bowls. Buen provecho!