- 5 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles domestic beer
- 1 pound processed cheese food, cubed
- 1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown; drain on plate lined with paper towels; crumble.
Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion, carrot, and celery in the butter until soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the bacon, basil, oregano, and green onions; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir the flour into the mixture until completely dissolved. Pour in the chicken broth and beer; cook until heated through. Melt the processed cheese food and Cheddar cheese in the mixture in small batches. Season with garlic powder and stir.