- 2 1/2 (16 ounce) packages chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 pounds processed cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cornstarch
Steam the broccoli in a steamer or in a colander over boiling water until tender and bright green, 15 minutes. Set aside.
In a large microwave safe bowl, combine half-and-half, 2 cups water and cheese. Cook in microwave until cheese is melted and smooth, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook 2 minutes more. In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining 2 cups water, stirring to dissolve. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the soup. Return the soup to the microwave, heating and stirring every 2 minutes until thick. Stir in broccoli; heat once more and serve.