- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 quart milk
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces cooked small shrimp
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook until the mixture turns a darker yellow color, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes.
Whisk in the sherry, chicken broth, and milk, then add the spinach, green onion, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly, then reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until the spinach is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with shrimp to serve.