- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle light beer
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook the onion and garlic in the butter until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the Worcestershire sauce and beer; bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir the chicken broth and mustard. Reduce heat to medium-low and pour in the half-and-half while stirring.
Toss together the shredded Cheddar cheese and flour in a bowl; add to the liquid mixture in small batches until melted.
Whisk together the cornstarch and warm water in a small bowl; stir into the cheese mixture; season with salt and pepper. Heat and stir until thick; serve hot.