A big slice of sourdough bread goes great with a bowl of this heart-warming soup that’s brimming with beef and barley.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds lean boneless beef sirloin steak , cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Remove and set aside.
In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender.