- 5 slices Wonder(r) Classic White Bread
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable juice cocktail or tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Cut bread into 3 strips; cut each strip into thirds, making 9 cubes. Place bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until very crisp. Set bread aside to cool.
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are quite tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except crisp bread cubes and Parmesan cheese. Heat to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
To serve, ladle soup into individual serving bowls and top each with crisp bread cubes. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
[…] See full ‘How To Make Italian Peasant Bread Soup’ recipe here… […]