- 6 ounces salt beef, fat removed and diced
- 12 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups fresh okra, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces cod fillets, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, to taste
Soak diced beef in ample cool water overnight to remove the salt. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
Bring 12 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt and pepper to taste, then add okra. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in beef, shrimp, and cod; simmer fro 10 minutes more. Season with chopped basil and lemon juice before serving.