- 4 (14 ounce) cans canned quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 pounds thinly sliced shallots
- 3 small red onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 gallon water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable base
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 6 dried portabella mushrooms, softened in water
- 3 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pounds carrots, sliced
- 3/4 cup capers
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Place artichokes in a food processor, slice thinly and set aside. It works well when using a 3 millimeter slicing disk.
Using a extra-large stock pot saute onions, garlic and shallots in olive oil and set on low. Cook for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar and cook for approximately 3 minutes, in order for vinegar to evaporate.
Stir in water, vegetable base, salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, thyme and sliced artichokes and cook for 25 minutes.
Add dried mushrooms along with the water they soaked in, fresh mushrooms and carrots. Let cook for 15 minutes.
Stir in capers and parsley, season with salt and serve.