- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large basil leaves, chopped
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 dried chipotle chili pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups sweet peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, basil, and sun-dried tomatoes; cook and stir until the garlic has softened, about 2 minutes more. Pour in the water along with the chipotle pepper, bay leaf, bouillon, and vinegar. Add the peas, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat, and discard the chipotle pepper and bay leaf. Carefully puree the soup until silky smooth in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender right in the saucepan. Serve the soup with a sprinkle of Gruyere cheese and freshly ground black pepper.