- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small white onion, grated
- 1 stalk celery, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 quarts half-and-half cream
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste, and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Mix in the onion, celery, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook and stir for about 4 minutes.
Gradually whisk in the half and half cream so that no lumps form. Stir in chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, and pour in half of the sherry. Season with dill, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until soup has reduced by 1/3. Add crabmeat, and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls, and top off with a splash of the remaining sherry and a sprinkle of fresh chives.