- 1 medium onin, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer after 45 minutes.
Stir in the chicken; cook 15 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender.