This classic soup combines carrots, potatoes, turnips, leeks and celery in savory Swanson® Chicken Broth with hearty white beans and a flavourful basil pesto garnish.
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 large leeks, white part only, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 5 1/4 cups Swanson(r) Vegetable Broth (Regular or Certified Organic)
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans (cannellini), rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Easy Basil Pesto (see note)
Heat the carrots, potatoes, turnip, leeks, celery and 1 3/4 cups broth in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
Reserve 1/2 cup of broth for the Easy Basil Pesto. Stir the remaining broth, beans, bay leaf and red pepper in the saucepot and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaf. Serve topped with the Easy Basil Pesto.