- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked barley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and oil and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are almost tender.
Then add the water, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, barley and ground black pepper.
Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until barley is tender.
[…] See full ‘How To Make Tomato Barley Soup’ recipe here… […]