This is a moist spice cake with a surprise ingredient!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add beaten eggs, and mix well. Stir in salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Mix in flour and baking powder, and then raisins and nuts. Mix tomato soup and baking soda together; beat into first mixture.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool.
Beat cream cheese and confectioners sugar together until smooth. Frost the cake.