This delicious soup has lots of flavor and doesn’t call for any meat. Perfect for vegetarians and vegans!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup canned black-eye peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the allspice, turmeric, coriander, and thyme; cook 1 minute longer.
Pour in the vegetable stock and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add the kale and okra; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, tomato, black-eye peas, and lime juice. Simmer about 5 minutes longer until the vegetables are tender.