- 6 (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound dried orzo pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese to taste
Place the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Remove from skillet, and crumble into a large pot. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, and tomatoes with their liquid. Stir in parsley, basil, and chicken broth. Cover, place over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes.
Stir orzo pasta and spinach into the pot. Continue cooking soup 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.