- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups dry brown lentils
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Place the onions in the pot and saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender.
Place the tomatoes in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Pour this into the pot with the onion along with the chicken broth and the lentils
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Then, stir in the wine, garlic, nutmeg and cloves. Simmer for at least 25 more minutes.
[…] See full ‘Lentil Tomato Soup’ recipe here… […]