This is a deliciously different pumpkin soup that tastes like no other with its very special ingredient: peanut butter!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 pounds sugar pumpkin — peeled, seeded and cubed
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, curry powder, and red pepper flakes; cook and stir until onion becomes transparent, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to a large pot, and stir in the chicken broth and pumpkin cubes. Cook over medium heat until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from heat; stir in the Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and peanut butter.
Transfer the soup in batches to a blender or food processor; blend each batch until smooth while slowly adding the half and half. Garnish each serving with cilantro.