- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter), or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 green chile peppers, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 pods cardamom, bruised
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh curry
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 apple – peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Masoor dhal (red lentils), rinsed, drained
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat ghee or vegetable oil in large pan (use low heat); cook onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, spices and curry leaves, stirring, until onion is browned lightly and mixture is fragrant. Do not over brown the onion or else it will give the soup a burnt taste.
Add carrot, apple, potato, dhal, and chicken stock to pan; simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Discard cardamom pods and curry leaves.
Blend or process soup mixture, in batches, until pureed; return to pan. Add tamarind, lemon juice, coconut milk and fresh coriander leaves; stir until heated through.