- 1 cup ground chicken liver
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds short rib steaks
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks chopped celery, with leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 carrots, halved
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
Combine liver, bread crumbs, flour, eggs, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, marjoram, mace, and garlic. Mix thoroughly. Let meatball mixture stand.
Rinse ribs, and place in large stock pot. Add onions, celery, 4 teaspoons salt, pepper, water, carrots, tomatoes, and parsley. Cover, and bring to a boil. Skim surface of soup. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
Remove meat, bones, and carrots from soup. Cut meat and carrots into bite-size pieces; return to soup. Bring to a boil.
Shape meatball mixture into balls the size of golf balls; drop into soup. Cover, and cook for 10 minutes.