- 9 baking potatoes
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bacon bits, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Prick potatoes with a fork and cook in the microwave, 3 or 4 at a time, and scoop out the flesh (while the others are cooking).
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook about a minute. Whisk in milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes, salt, pepper, 1/3 cup bacon bits, 2 tablespoons green onions and most of the cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream and heat through. Serve topped with remaining bacon, onions and cheese.