- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) jar picante sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add the bread cubes; stir until crisp and golden brown. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside.
Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender. Add sugar; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, picante sauce, tomato sauce and pepper; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Just before serving, add lettuce and heat through. Garnish with the croutons and bacon.