- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 5 cups diced red potatoes
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spread slivered almonds evenly over a baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven until golden brown and fragrant.
Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook onions, celery, mushrooms, and garlic in oil until onions are tender.
Stir in carrots, potatoes, chicken, and broth. Bring to a boil, then stir in barley. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, and stir in butter, parsley, and toasted almonds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.