This recipe is very fast and easy to make. It is especially nice to have on cold winter. It is so versatile you can add almost anything to it, such as pasta twists, chopped escarole, chopped spinach, broccoli, carrots, etc.
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 cups water
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the olive oil, onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, oregano, parsley, basil and red pepper flakes. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the tomato sauce, chickpeas and water. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.