- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 12 cups water, divided
- 3 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemon grass, chopped (optional)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh red chile peppers
- 1 (1.41 ounce) package tamarind soup base
Place the rice and 2 cups water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Pour the remaining 10 cups water into a large pot, and bring to a boil. Place chicken in the pot. Stir in kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, green onions, garlic, tomatoes, fish sauce, mushrooms, cilantro, red chile peppers, and tamarind soup base. Cook chicken 30 minutes, or until juices run clear. Remove chicken from pot, debone, and chop. Return meat to the soup, and discard bones. Serve over cooked rice.