- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bunch leeks, chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 2 1/2 quarts beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups Chinese rice wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a saucepan, bring the 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in the barley. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat, and saute the onions and leeks until tender. Mix in the turkey, and cook until heated through. Pour the beef stock into the pot, and stir in the cooked barley. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Mix the rice wine into the soup, and season with coriander. Continue cooking about 10 minutes. Season with pepper to serve.