- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook until the flour begins to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic, cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 3 minutes.
Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until thickened and smooth.
Remove from the heat and immediately whisk in the shredded cheese until it has melted and the soup is smooth. Season with Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, and black pepper. Ladle in to serving bowls, and sprinkle with cilantro to garnish.