- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
In a small saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil and butter over low heat until tender. Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper; cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in tomato paste. Combine flour and 1/4 cup of water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Gradually stir in remaining water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Place a sieve over a bowl; pour tomato mixture into sieve. Press with the back of a spoon to remove tomato seeds and skin. Return puree to pan. Add half-and-half and dill; cook over low heat just until heated through (do not boil).