- 5 ounces Portuguese chourico, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, with liquid
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- salt and ground black pepper
Cook the chourico in a soup pot over medium-high heat until it releases some oil. Add the chopped onion; stir and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Mix in the garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, and thyme. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
Stir the baby spinach into the soup and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.