- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cubed
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
In a large saucepan, saute fennel seed in butter for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Add the carrots, sweet potato and apple; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, rice, curry powder and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice and vegetables are very tender.
Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender or food processor, process soup in batches until pureed. Return to saucepan. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.