- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, melt butter. Add onions and sugar; cook over low heat until lightly browned, about 1 hour.
Sprinkle flour over onions and stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the water, salt, dried onion, bouillon, garlic salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top with a slice of toasted bread; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.