- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 large sweet yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (26 ounce) cartons reduced-sodium beef stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or water)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices Wonder(r) Classic White Sandwich Bread
- 3 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat. Add onion, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are very tender and are lightly golden in color.
Stir in stock, broth, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, arrange oven rack so it is about 6 inches away from broiler element. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut each slice of bread into quarters. Arrange cubes in a single layer on baking sheet and broil until it is quite crisp, turning to brown evenly. Set bread aside.
Remove and discard bay leaf. Ladle soup into individual, oven-safe, soup bowls and place bowls on foil-lined baking sheet. Place 4 toasted bread cubes over each bowl of soup. Sprinkle bread and soup with cheese. Place bowls of soup, on baking sheet, under broiler, and broil 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese has melted.