- 2 pounds onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (49.5 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1/4 cup applejack brandy or Calvados
- 1 pinch white pepper, or to taste
- 1 Granny Smith apple – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Set aside about 1/2 cup of the onions to use later as a garnish. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent but not browned, about 10 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, beef consomme, apple juice concentrate, apple juice, and applejack liquor. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and season with the white pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
To serve, place a pinch of the reserved raw onions in the bottom of a soup bowl. Ladle the soup into the bowls, and float a few slices of apple on top to serve.