- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste (optional)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans canned red beans, drained and rinsed#
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic; cook and stir for a few minutes to release the flavors. Season with maple syrup, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper. Pour in the vegetable broth, black beans, 1 can of red beans, and corn. Bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining can of red beans and crushed tomatoes in the container of a large food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Pour into the soup pot, and stir to blend. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes.