- 2 pounds beef stew meat, diced into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup barley
Season beef stew chunks with salt and pepper to taste. Place seasoned beef in a large soup pot. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute for 5 minutes on high heat. Remove meat. Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to pot and add onions, carrots and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and thyme to pot and saute for 3 more minutes.
Add the chicken broth and 3 cups of water to pot. Add the frozen mixed vegetables, potatoes and barley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir all together and bring to a boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.